Sculptor, printmaker, painter, artist in stained glass, designer and teacher. Born in Darley Dale, Derbyshire. Studied at Preston and Manchester Schools of Art, then served in RAF, 1943-1947. Studied Royal College of Art, 1948-1952. Had first Solo exhibition at Gimpel Fils in 1952, but worked substantially on commissions. Coventry, Chichester and Lincoln Cathedrals all have work by Clarke, who also worked on Time-Life Building, 1952, and Thorn Electric Building, St Martin’s Lane 1958. Clarke completed forged and welded sculpture, acquiring knowledge on a course at British Oxygen Company. Having heard about the discovery of casting from expanded-polystyrene models, Clarke produced the first free-standing aluminium sculpture for the architect Sir Basil Spence’s house at Beaulieu; his technique was described in a pamphlet published by Shell Chemicals; and he went onto develop it in subsequent works. There was a touring retrospective of sculpture and graphic works organised by Ipswich Museums and Galleries, 1994-5; with a 50 year retrospective at Fine Art Society in 2000 and 2003. Tate Gallery, Arts Council and Victoria and Albert Museum hold Clarke’s work. His son is the Sculptor Jonathan Clarke. Lived in Hartest, Suffolk. He was elected RA in 1976.